Pages

Sunday, June 19, 2011

TLC330 Old World Look

Hello everyone....hope you had a wonderful weekend!!! It's my turn to host the TLC challenge on Splitcoast and my challenge to you is to make a card or project with the *Old World Look*



There are lots of techniques to age your paper...here are a few of them:

1. The easiest technique for me is to distress the paper with a distressing tool or use an old butter knife.
2. Sponge your project with distress inks...I like to use Vintage Photo. If you lay the paper down over a rough surface while sponging, you will get a textured look. You can also drag the ink pad over the paper for a really rustic look.
3. Use Walnut Ink Crystals and water. After mixing the crystals with water you can sponge it on, paint it on, or dip the paper in it.
4. You can do the same thing with tea or coffee. In fact, you can use a wet tea bag to rub over the paper or blot it on for a blotchy effect.
5. After sponging your project, stamp over the finished product with a script background stamp or a Weathered looking stamp...this is what I did to my sample.
6. Brayer on texture...ink up the brayer and spritz with water before applying to the paper.
7. Rub chalk over your image for a dusky, muted look or add it to the roughed edges.
8. Use sprays like Glimmer Mist or glazes...apply with a sponge for more texture.
9. Use lemon or lime juice to *burn* the edges of the project. Apply the juice to the paper with a sponge and heat with a heat gun.
10. You can also age something with sweetened condenced milk....apply it with a brush and heat with a heat gun...this looks really cool!!! I used it once on an owl image for the feathers.
11. Wrinkle your paper by misting it with water, wadding it up, and them smoothing it out. This works best on a finished project. Don't try to color an image after you have wrinkled the paper!! You can iron it a bit if it's too wrinkled and misting with a dark glaze or rinker and water mix will highlight the wrinkles.

My card features Rubbernecker's Flower Basket stamp #SKU 532-11...it was colored with Copics and sponged with Ranger Vintage Photo Distress Ink. It was then stamped with the Stampin Up's Weathered background stamp and Stampin Up's French Script stamp using Vintage Photo. A Nestabilities oval die was used to cut out an oval frame from a piece of Pink Paislee's Butterfly Garden dp and the Soft Suede matting. The frame was also sponged, distressed, and stamped with the Weathered background stamp. Pearls, seam binding, and a metal flower finish it off.

Thanks for visiting...hope you join us for this fun technique!!!

13 comments:

Shirley said...

Wow, Joan, this is breathtaking, and I need to try it. It is gorgeous and thanks for the recipe!

Joanne (jojot) said...

How very cool....or should I say 'warm' and aged to perfection.....hope to get to play tomorrow...fab technique, gf

debbie said...

Gorgeous! Love that technique and you achieved the look perfectly!

Stampvanwinkle said...

Oh Joan,

I love this! How beautiful and wonderful distressing.

Hugs,
Deb

jimlynn said...

Fabulous distressing!!! And thanks for all those tips too. A GORGEOUS card.
Lynn

Lori said...

That is a great list of tips, Joan. I have never tried this, but your card is fantastic. Great look. I'll have to pop over to the gallery to see more.

Tammy said...

So gorgeous Joan and thanks for all the tips, I definitely will try a couple.

Linda Palmer said...

So beautiful Joan. Love the image and the crackle look. Great job as you always do.

Chriss Blagrave said...

Oh, but this is GORGEOUS Joan!!! Love the image, the colours, the distressing and that POP of colour from the shabby chic bow!
It's another hot day here, too hot for the garden, so I will enjoy your basketful of flowers :)
Stay cool...

Carole of Brum said...

It's a beautiful card, Joan, and thanks for all the tips about aging....must admit I only ever use distress ink but maybe I should be more adventurous. I did once try lemon juice, but would never have thought to use condensed milk, I bet that smells nice! CoB

Kelly said...

OMG this is simply GORGEOUS! I love the warm "Old World" colors and what you did with the paper is totally awesome!

jdmommy - Anne Harmon said...

So vintage and lovely! Caring for Mom takes so much of my time...glad I have a moment to say hello! Hugs, GF!

Barbara said...

This is stunning! I love the crackled old world look! Wello done.